Monday, October 10, 2011

Part 15 of PML’s: How does a Voice Talent Prepare for a Session?


We asked some of our top 100 voice talents to find out how they get ready for a voice session. Here is what Nick S. says...

“To prepare, the first thing I do is get very familiar with the copy.  It's very important to understand the copywriter's intention.  I read it aloud a few times to be sure I understand how one phrase or sentence flows into the next so I can inflect properly.  A misplaced inflection can weaken the power of good writing.

The second thing is to choose an "attitude" for the performance.  If it's a straightforward 30 second "announcer sell" radio spot, this is pretty simple.  I let the copy determine my energy level, identify the power words and let it fly!

For those commercials or narrations that demand a natural, conversational non-radioy performance, the process is quite different because it requires more than just giving it a good radio read.  What is my attitude going to be?  It could be friendly, reflective, enthusiastic, tender, fearful, comforting, reassuring, excited, persuasive....any number of choices.

This is where acting comes in.  Once an attitude is chosen, I try to infuse myself with that feeling so that it informs the texture and character of my delivery.  It is not easy and after many years I still strive to get better at the whole process.”


More responses from other talents are coming soon!

No comments: