Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Help I'm over-stimulated



If there is one piece of advice I could give advertisers targeting my generation (Generation Y or Generation Z, depending on your definition), it would be this:
Keep it simple.
Honestly. Just cut the crap. Generation Y/Zers have grown up on the internet. We have been bombarded with flashy visuals, tricky marketing tactics and persuasive lingo since before we could even use a toilet. The result? Overstimulization and de-sensitization. There is a limit to “bigger and better”, and I believe my generation has reached a plateau where the hype is no longer impressive.  
This is precisely why one pharmecutial company, help®, is trying out a new marketing approach, calling itself “a drug company that promises you less.”
help® produces over-the-counter medications without the artificial dyes, extra ingredients and confusing names. It employs minimalistic marketing techniques from its website layout to advertisements to product packaging. Product labels include “help I have a headache”, “help I can’t sleep” and “help I have a blister” – simple, straightforward names that tell you exactly what the drug does. 
A new ad for help®’s  “Take Less” campaign really embodies this marketing approach by employing visually simplistic techniques such as stop-motion animation, primary colors, and limited limited dialogue. 
Personally, I think help®’s advertising strategy is refreshing and appealing and believe other companies would be wise to follow suit. 

No comments: